Experienced. Aggressive. Driven.
Mr. McDougall began his law career as a clerk to the Honorable Joseph A. Smyth in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, focusing on civil litigation and family law disputes.
From there, he was hired as an Assistant District Attorney for Montgomery County, where he specialized in homicides and major narcotics prosecutions. He performed this work for three years, until he and his family relocated to San Mateo County, California.
In California, he was hired by James P. Fox as a Deputy District Attorney. In his four years in this role, Mr. McDougall handled almost every type of criminal case, including homicides and major narcotics. He also spent his final two years in this role in the Sexual Assault unit.
Since leaving the District Attorney’s office in 2006, Mr. McDougall has formed his own practice, focusing on providing litigation for criminal and civil clients and specializing in real estate and criminal law.
- Widener University School of Law ‐ Juris Doctor, 1997
- Brown University ‐ Bachelor of Arts, History & Education, 1993
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- California Public Defender’s Association
- San Mateo County Bar Association
- San Mateo County Trial Lawyer’s Association
Selected Teaching Experience
- College of Notre Dame, Belmont, CA: “Criminal Justice and Defense” ‐ 2007
- Canada College, Redwood City, CA: “Issues in Criminal Justice ‐ A Case Study” ‐ 2005-2006
- San Mateo County Rape Trauma Services, Burlingame, CA: “San Mateo County Sexual Assault Protocol” ‐ 2003
Evan C. Nelson
Evan C. Nelson is a trial lawyer with 25 years of substantial commercial litigation and trial experience gained both from working at top law firms and as in-house corporate counsel. He has acted as national and regional counsel, and as first chair trial counsel, for Fortune 500 companies facing hundreds of millions of dollars in potential liabilities. Evan has represented both plaintiffs and defendants, successfully prosecuting his clients’ interests against large corporations, public entities, and other well-funded opponents.
He loves to employ his extensive, high level litigation experience and strategies to help clients avoid litigation or, when necessary, to aggressively litigate his clients’ matters to position them for successful resolution through mediation, arbitration or trial.
Evan also has significant experience with post-trial motions and appeals, which allows him to protect his clients before, during and after trial.
- Reuben Clark Law School – Brigham Young University (J.D., 1994)
- Brigham Young University Undergraduate (B.A., 1991)
- Ricks College (A.A.S. 1988)
- Wrongful Termination
- Whistleblower Retaliation
- Breach of Contract
- Trademark and Copyright
- Unfair Business Practices
- Tortious Interference with Contracts (Existing and Prospective)
- Breach of Fiduciary Duty
- Conservatorship – Defend Rights of the Conservatee and Family
- Eminent Domain – Protect Property Owners
- Personal Injury and Wrongful Death
Utah (Currently Inactive), 2000
United States Courts of Appeals for the Ninth and Tenth Circuits
United States District Courts for the Northern, Central and Southern Districts of California, the Central District of Illinois and the District of Utah.
Actively practicing (i) in the California Superior Courts for Contra Costa County (Martinez), Alameda County (Oakland-Berkeley-Hayward) and San Francisco County (San Francisco), (ii) in the California First District Appellate Court (Northern California, San Francisco Bay Area), and (iii) in the federal courts in the Northern District of California (Northern California, San Francisco Bay Area).
Ms. Sullivan attended California State University in Sacramento, where she received her Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice. She also holds an Associate’s degree in Paralegal Studies. Ms. Sullivan has worked as a paralegal with Mr. McDougall since 2011. She is a certified notary and belongs to the National Notary Association. Ms. Sullivan has successfully petitioned for expungements in most counties in California.